Tom's paper on Dugdale.

The funerary monument to William Shakespeare in Holy Trinity Church, Stratford-on-Avon, is a typical ‘scholar monument’ of the type that developed in the late-16th century which was popular for memorializing academics and clerics well into the 17th century (see Figure 12 for other examples).1 Erected probably not later than 1618,2 it depicts a half-effigy of the poet attired in a subfusc, an academic gown with the sleeves ribboned and pinned back like a short cape as worn by Oxford University undergraduates, and engaged in his earthly profession, writing. The first published depiction of the monument appeared in William Dugdale's 1656 Antiquities of Warwickshire.3 The engraving, thought to be by Wenceslaus Hollar or one of his workmen, was based on a sketch made by Dugdale probably in 1649,4 and both depictions differ markedly in some respects from the monument as it appears today.

By Tom Reedy